Sunday, February 10, 2008

Apologies to the Monkeys






Let me be clear: I don't hate monkeys! I realize now that between the descriptions of my personal struggle to write this blog unfettered and my disparaging remarks about the candidates' lack of individuation I may have come across as a unforgivable speciesist, or a raging crypto-neo-Darwinian! Far from it. I love the little monkeys! All of Primata are my friends; from their scent glands to their tapetums to their strangely-modified digits and the sacculated stomachs of cercopithecoids they, and their wondrous adaptations, give beauty to my days and sweet dreams to my nights. I just don't want an Alouatta in the White House, or a Daubentonid as an editor, pointing that crazy 'finger' at the screen or in my eye (-aye)...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that really THE baby jesus I see in your portrait, or merely a baby adopting a halo as might befit any young saviour?

Vifargent said...

I think it's only THE baby Jesus if you are Catholic. And perhaps Nordic, as well. He is terribly blond for an ancient Middle-Easterner. Interestingly, in the current configuration, I think He and the Buddha appear to be glaring at each other a bit through the palm tree. Joseph for his part seems to be looking away and keeping out of the whole thing. THe three of them flank my television. I think this means I can't watch bad shows. I can't really see it, anyway, due to the tree in front of it. ANd it certainly makes reading the captions difficult...

Anonymous said...

but of course, we aren't to know that; as those others you speak of live in a world across the other side of the crop-line.

Vifargent said...

Know which? Who? Whaaat??? I have utterly no idea what you are talking about, but Peace Be With You...