Monday, February 18, 2008

With glowing hearts we see thee rise

Fascinatingly enough (or not), my reunion with the Blackberry occurred late Tuesday of last week. In all my excitement I might well have failed to notice, anyway, but had we renewed our vows the day previous instead, there would have been a three-hour interruption in our recommitment ceremony and ensuing celebration.

For me (and that I am alone in this perspective as in so many others is proven by the absurd furore this caused), a couple hours twice a year of uncertainty as to whether I have any incoming emails seems a manageable risk and tolerable cost when weighed against the other 8750-something other hours of instantly-updated connectivity. Moreover, that the outage's scope is attributable to the fact that all data sent by all Blackberry users, regardless of carrier, must pass through RIM's two network operations centers in Canada, makes me so happy I wish I could send money, flowers, and handwritten love notes to Research in Motion directly. Did last Monday's short-lived BB breakdown bring the US and global economies to a crushing, grinding halt? No. But I find the idea that thousands of advance-copy HR memos on new breakroom policies and rough-draft PowerPoint presentations from hemorrhoid-treatment salesmen had their full, momentous impact delayed because something went wrong in Waterloo terribly, terribly amusing.

No comments: