Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Tulips Are Lying. And Where Are My Sorels?


It snowed today. Honestly.

As you faithful reader(s) know(s), I cannot do math. Because I cannot do math I live by rounding. Sometimes I round up and sometimes I round down: this allows me to believe that 'everything evens out' in some theoretical Final Reckoning I won't understand in the slightest. Even if today's specific roundings include only one upward with bills and one downward with mileage, I content myself with the belief that in the near future I will do the opposite and things will therefore again attain equilibrium.

I tell you this because it means that in the realm of rounding, and therefore in the realm I inhabit, today is early April, and that means that it is snowing, in Seattle, in early April. It is, moreover, predicted to continue for days. Apparently, I was one of the few who arrived home safely, so I poured the last glass of Quinta do Et Cetera and congratulated myself on my prescience for not yet having put away the foul-weather drinks and clothes. I have no idea what the tulip-trees and daffodils are thinking, but I cannot express how deeply I want winter to end.

No comments: