Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Rose by Any Other Name

Well, somehow I made a floral that I actually like. I don't know how, I don't understand it, and I've never succeeded before. And it's not just incompetence on my part; I don't like florals anyone makes. Other than Joy, and that makes no more sense than it should, unless you believe that the exception proves the rule.

At any rate, it still has some curing to go, but at this stage it is already quite nice and balanced. The ingredients, in no particular order are:

benzoin
clary sage
geranium
vetiver
patchouli
coriander
cajeput
sandalwood
neroli
frankincense
and a small amount of Moroccan rose

Most of the rose is coming from the geranium, and not much of the piney aspects of the geranium are present still, even with the other complements. Anyway, even with the tiny amount of patchouli and the not tiny amount of frankincense, it's not headed at all in the ecclesiastical-Oriental zone of most of what I wear. I don't feel any great excitement at succeeding with those scents, even when they are particularly complex, but this feels like a genuine coup! mean, I would actually wear this stuff!

No comments: